So that’s a wrap for summer, and now it’s time to shake the house up a little and get ready for winter. I still find it a shock when the weather becomes cooler and the light begins to fade at the end of each day. And don’t get me started on the dark mornings. You would think I would be used to after all these years!
As the leaves fall off the trees, and the landscape changes, we start to think ahead to cosy days indoors, by an open fire. Sometimes as the summer comes to a close the house can feel a little tired, perhaps lacking lustre. Rooms that have been neglected as we have holidayed away or enjoyed summer al fresco can now be revisited. The autumn always sees me not only rearranging furniture, but touching up paintwork and adding rugs to tired floors. It helps to inject a new and fresh feel making the space feel more snug than it needed to be in the summer months. The light comes into the room at different angles at different times of year.
If you are not up for redecorating this autumn, think about buying a new throw, cushion, or rug. One or all will immediately inject a feeling of warmth and vitality into any living space. It is also an easy, low-commitment way to add a fresh injection of colour and texture to a room and keep warm and snug.
For me personally throws are top of mind at this time of year as the weather is colder and the heating is not on yet. Not least because this is when I put in my biggest order for new throws for the website. I have some old favourites being replenished and of course some new ones to keep things exciting. They come in many shapes, sizes, and prices. In particular I like the weight of wool throws but with some cashmere to give it softness. Alternatively heavy linen throws have all year round appeal and can be just as comforting. Layer up sofas, armchairs and beds with natural materials for maximum cosiness. Either way it’s a snuggly alternative to putting on another jumper or turning up the thermostat.
With the summer now over, I imagine that the throws we were using to keep warm on those summer nights have found their way inside. They add texture casually thrown over the arms or backs of a chair or sofa. They can also make a dramatic statement piled up on a stool or rolled up and put in a basket. Doing so will add that something that might be missing from a space, be it colour, texture or a pattern. Conversely a neutral throw can tone down or minimise a statement piece or pattern and stop it from dominating a room.
They look equally stylish rolled up inside our new felt storage baskets, available in three colours with leather handles, and only £38. You will find they have so many uses around the home.
Let’s not forget bedrooms and guest rooms. There is always room for a throw, whether on the end of a bed, or on a chair. Suitable for all ages, a child, teenager, or guest to use. Here they will add comfort and a homely feel not to mention texture and colour. There is nothing worse than going to stay with someone and being cold. I have been know to wear mine as scarves and am often found with one wrapped around me in the depths of winter, making moving from room to room that bit warmer. I also keep one on my chair for when I am working at my desk. Yes, cold knees are definitely becoming a reality as I get older!! And of course if I’m not using it, my ever faithful four legged friend loves them!
Enjoy a warm autumn and winter wrapped up in some soft wool or cashmere. Consider giving one of our throws as a Christmas gift to someone you love. Or just self gift!
My top five Mushroom throws for 2019/2020
1. In pole position are our wool and cashmere mix throws. Measuring 180 x 130 cm they are super soft. They come in four colours. and retail at a very reasonable £98.
2. Our new range of Lambswool Throws, stripping it back to the simple block colour and fringed edges. 190 cm x 140 cm, super cosy and practical for all year round use. Retailing at £85 this throw is an investment purchase.
3. 100 % Merino Wool Throws made in Wales. The gorgeous putty colour offsets the subtle rose and duck egg blue stripe. This makes is an all rounder for any room or colour scheme. Measuring 150 cm x 183 cm and retailing at £75.
4. Faux Fur with faux suede backing You may not believe it, but this has to be the softest Faux Fur Throw I have ever handled. 190 cm x 140 cm retailing at £98. So cosy and warm to snuggle under and it has the added bonus of a Faux Suede backing, so you will never want to leave your bed or sofa. Seeing is believing!
5. And last but by no means least our Button random wool mixed striped throw. Measuring a whopping 200 x 140 cm and only £55. This throw is 70% wool and 30% polyester and the joy is that they are made from the leftover wool in the mill. You therefore end up with a one off limited edition.